Watch Video
Going through the child support process when the other parent opened the child support case
  • The OAG can take steps to keep you safe in the child support process whether you apply or the other parent applies for child support services.
  • Be sure to report family violence to the OAG as soon as possible by contacting the statewide child support call center (1-800-252-8014). The child support process can move quickly, so it is important to let the OAG know about your safety concerns immediately.
  • If no child support order exists, an order will be established, which may include financial and medical support, as well as custody and visitationPaternity will also be established at this time, if necessary.
  • Paternity must be established before a court can order child support. If your child's Paternity has to be established and you would like genetic testing, notify the child support office that is handling your case as soon as possible after the child support case is opened. Click here for more information on genetic testing.
  • In a case where an order already exists for the child, the OAG assesses the case to determine if child support is set at an appropriate amount and enforce any back child support that has not been paid.
  • If you have safety concerns about the child support process or if there is a history of family violence, it is important to contact the child support office that is handling your case to share your safety concerns.
  • Make sure that you have checked “yes” in the Important Safety Information section, which is at the top of the child support application.  You will also need to inform staff at the local office about your specific safety concerns and ask that a Family Violence Indicator be placed on your case.  Contact the statewide child support call center by phone (1-800-252-8014) or in-person.  Even if you have not checked “yes” in the Important Safety Information section on your application, you can still report family violence concerns to the OAG at any time. 
  • In order to receive a Family Violence Indicator on your case, all you need to do is inform the OAG about your safety concerns. The OAG will ask you to complete and submit an Request for Nondisclosure, which is a form that documents your safety concerns.   You could also provide a copy of your protective order against the other parent (if one exists) or any police or medical reports that could help document family violence.
  • Once the Family Violence Indicator is on your case, your contact information, such as your physical address, will not be printed on court documents unless required by the law, and if the court agrees, your address will not be made available to the other parent.  Your case will also be set for a court hearing, instead of a negotiation meeting with the other parent in the local child support office when it is necessary to file a legal action with the court. 
  • If you do not inform the Office of the Attorney General about family violence there will not be a Family Violence Indicator placed on your case. Your contact information will be printed on public court documents and your child support order, which are available to the other parent unless the court orders this information restricted.  Your case will most likely be scheduled for a negotiation meeting with the other parent in the child support office (Child Support Review Process: CSRP).
  • You are legally required to appear in court on your court date. If you do not appear, a default judgment may be entered anyway.  If you have safety concerns about appearing in court, contact the statewide child support call center (1-800-252-8014) to discuss these concerns.